Thnx, Curufea. Meanwhile I have found a svg exporter for laser cutters... it exports the lines but no faces, so i need to join them node by node to rebuild the faces. It is a boring process but at least it works.
It also translates arcs in a series of little straight lines (i don't know if it is the plugin or the way Sketchup works). For the tiny scale of my current experiment it is not really important, but if i plan to do bigger things it can become noticeable.
I also tried a trick found in the web wich consist in printing the top view to a PDF, and then importing the PDF. I obtain a vector draw, but is really ugly (thousands of nodes and too much placement errors).
I'm hoping that you or someone else know a better exporter.
I've not used sketchup at all, unfortunately, I tend to use Lightwave for models (although I have a fairly old version these days).
It does annoy me in photoshop that PDF imports become rasterised - it has a perfectly adequate vector system built in. Not as good as Coreldraw or inkshape, but still workable - I don't know why they don't use it.
"This is my timey wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff."
It only took me six years to accidentally find the sketchup -> dxf converter! If only I knew the right keywords to search for in this forum... Guess I'll be combing the posts again just in case I missed something else.
This is going to make my process a wee bit better!
So, I did a quick test to see if I could unflatten something simple in sketchup myself, make the tabs in sketchup, import into Silhouette Studio (instant cutfiles!) print as PDF from studio, import into GIMP and apply textures. It sounds silly, but it's not that bad, really.
I exported the entire model from sketchup. Some of the export options didn't play well with Studio at all (like "polyface mesh", and others worked OK with tweaking. Once imported into Studio, I had to rescale the lines. What I ended up doing was selecting everything, ungrouping, editing the lines, break ALL the paths. Then I could scale the lines together and typically there was a line I could use as a reference to make sure the size was correct. Some lines were duplicated because of the way the faces exported. I suspect if I exported only lines from sketchup it might have been better. Still will experiment more. Anyway, after cleaning up the duplicate lines, I made a compound path out of the score lines and a compound path out of the cutlines. I then edited each, joining the points together to make a longer polyline.
Once this is done, I set all line colors to black, made scorelines a dashed line, made the line thickness something like 0.3pt, printed using a PDF printer.
In GIMP, I opened the PDF at 300 dpi. Using Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel, I converted white to alpha, and I had my lines layer to then apply textures under.
The stuff I do in 3d is simple, so this process will last me a good while until I decide to learn some better tools.
Vermin King: After 3 1/2 hours of updating, I got this xxxxxxxx Win10 computer runnable. I'm really going to miss the ease of Win 7. Amazing all the stuff I did here that is just gone ... except for what I posted
Aug 19, 2019 18:38:15 GMT -9
squirmydad: I hope...lmk if you find something broken.
Aug 19, 2019 15:23:57 GMT -9
squirmydad: Onemonk.com fully functional once again!
Aug 19, 2019 15:23:39 GMT -9
cowboyleland: It looks like you guys are busy, but I would like to point out that the "Ghoul Design Tutorial." which would start to answer bobsomething 's question from Aug 10, is MIA (again)
Aug 13, 2019 6:13:32 GMT -9
squirmydad: I need to reset a primary domain or something.
Aug 12, 2019 12:05:38 GMT -9