Tea house fold flat challenge Aug 29, 2018 22:49:29 GMT -9
Post by lightning on Aug 29, 2018 22:49:29 GMT -9
While working on the tea house I have come to the stage where I add the fold flat adaptations. For most of the parts this is a simple step but the veranda roof is a bit of a challenge.
I have worked out this solution and want to present it and hear your feedback. It seems it is the best I can do and I am not 100% happy with it because it leaves small gaps on the corners. I tried a couple of approaches but most would become really complex very fast, so this is the most economic I found.
If you have better ideas, I would love to hear them.
For the outside roof I use these templates (I = inner, M = middle and O = outside / T = texture). Four of these will form the visible roof structure but need to be held together by a clamping part.
The I flaps will be for connecting the roof to the clamping part. The M part will connect the roof sections.
For holding together I have this "clamping" part underneath. It is again made out of the three layers.
The I part just has a slot to thread the roof tabs through. The M part also has this slot plus there threading tabs are split to each side. The O part again has the "thread through" slot and then the slots where you will insert the splitting ones.
After you combine the roof sections loose, you lay the clamping part on it. Then you thread the flaps from the roof through the clamping one. You then split them and insert them to the sides.
Once inserted they look like this and hold the assembly together very well.
My concern are these gaps that can appear. Not much but still something I would like to avoid if possible. I could add some covering parts, like I have done for the castle roof, but this adds more steps to the situation. I am toying with the idea of adding some small "obstacle" parts that one would squeeze together with a rubber band, but I am not sure it will be worth it.
I think my recommendation would be to just glue-build this part as the remaining works perfect with the tested fold flat approach. But just in case I wanted to present this here and see if anyone can come up with some more creative way!
Challenge extended ...